The professional theatre scene is exploding in St. Louis. Over
twenty theatres are regularly compensating their artists. The
theatrical community gives us an opportunity to experience performances
of every kind... classic to experimental, established to formative,
light-hearted comedies to searing dramas. It is a movement to be proud
of and to actively support.
The Professional Theatre Awards Council will launch and operate
an annual awards ceremony to recognize, celebrate and promote
outstanding achievement in professional theatre in greater St. Louis. We
will begin judging in January of 2005 and celebrate the nominees and
winners in the spring of 2006.
But it is not about the awards. It is about significantly
increasing the general awareness of what our professional theatres have
to offer. It will accomplish a number of things:
The annual awards process has made significant contributions to the growth of theatre in
- Increase attendance for all the theatres
- Increase the number of theatres
- Greater local media coverage and public awareness
- Broaden financial support
- Greater regional and national attention
- Increased cohesion and cooperation within the theatrical community
- Washington DC (Helen Hayes Awards) from 14 to 80+ professional theatres in 20 years
- Chicago (Jeff Awards) from less than 20 to 100+ professional theatres in 35 years
Any live stage play or musical is eligible for consideration if it is:
- Presented in the greater St. Louis Area.
- Produced by a local theatre or producing organization
which compensates their artists on a regular basis as determined by the
Council. Co-productions will be considered if there is significant
artistic involvement by the resident theatre.
- Scheduled for a minimum of six performances, excluding previews, in the same location.
- Each production will be judged independently and eligibility will be regularly reviewed.
- University/college, community, puppet, improv, opera, non-resident, and mime theatre are not eligible.
- Musical, Play, Children's Theatre
- Musical, Play
- Male and Female, Lead and Supporting, Musical and Play, Ensemble
- Special Awards
- Musical Direction
- Set, Costume, Lighting, Sound Design
- New Play
- Announcement of the organization and distribution of judging applications (November, 2004)
- Judge's Meeting (December, 2004)
- First Year Judging Begins (January 1, 2005)
- Unveiling of the Award (March, 2005)
- First Year Judging Ends (December 31, 2005)
- Second Year Judging Begins (January 1, 2006)
- First Year Nominations Announced (February, 2006)
- Nominee brunch (February, 2006)
- VIP Awards Reception (April, 2006)
- First Annual Awards Ceremony and After-Party (April, 2006)